Thursday, July 30, 2009

WHAT IS BLACk BEAUTY


In the November 1980 issue of the Ebony Magazine they had a special addition on African Americans. And on page 159 they defined what Black Beauty is? It opened with a quote from W.E.B Dubois which stated:

" I have known the women of many lands and nation- I have known and seen and lived beside them, but none have I known more sweetly feminine , more unswervingly loyal, more desperately earnest, and more instinctively pure in body and in soul then the daughters of my BLACK mothers. This, then a little thing to their memory and inspiration" .

Then and even still to this day African American women do not realize they worth or some for that matter. There are still women who think a lighter skin is the "perfect" skin and may bleach them selves, there are women who get plastic surgery on their noses because society tells us that fare skin, petite, long hair and thin noses are whats in. But in history those big noses were found on statues of Kings and Queens in Egypt. Today you may see different cultures taking on our assets, like tanning trying to get darker complexion or getting botox for bigger lips, butt implants and our style of fashion. We must remember that it all started with us the BLack women. We as African American females need to be proud of who we are and where we come from and of our natural look. That's why I praise Ebony magazine for what they do for African American women and our society as well. They give us something positive to look to, advice to guide us and something to be proud of. But not just Ebony magazine gives us that there is Essence and Jet and many more.

Also there is a My Black is Beautiful movement which I proudly hold my fist high testifying what my beauty is. The My Black is Beautiful celebrates the diverse collective beauty of African-American women and encourages black women to define and promote our own beauty standard — one that is an authentic reflection of our indomitable spirit.
Recognizing that beauty and self-confidence are intrinsically linked, My Black is Beautiful is designed to ignite and support a sustained national conversation by, for and about black women — the way we are reflected in popular culture and how we serve as the catalyst for a movement that effects positive change. So I say to every Black woman out there what is your black. My Black is loving, different, spiritual : everyday I wake up and I am happy, My Black is proud to be who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment